Thursday, November 18, 2010

Cell Phones

Hey Cruisers!! I can hardly believe we're only TWENTY days away from being on a ship with the Boys!! SO exciting! But to not get too caught up in the excitement to forget a few key details, such as cell phones on the ship. Thankfully Katie from the nKoTb Cruise blog has laid it all out here in her blog entry (Thanks again, Katie!! You've been so helpful!):

First things first: your cell phone WILL work on the ship. But think twice about using it. Case in point: Cruiser disputes $28,000 bill for wireless session on ship. And I'm not even going to talk about the in-room phones, which are about $10/minute.

While cell phone rates at sea vary by wireless company, they generally reflect international roaming rates, which can be breathtakingly expensive. On the cruise, your only connection is through the ship's provider "Cell at Sea." This on-board tower works with both GSM and CDMA. Once you are a certain distance from port, they will turn it on.

Here's what I found for calling rates, but don't take my word for it. Check with your provider!
  • AT&T, Verizon, and Sprint: $2.49/min
  • T-mobile: $4.99/min
Text messages are generally $0.50/each for outgoing and vary for incoming. When the ship reaches port, pricing will switch to the country-specific roaming rate. (The rate for this should be listed on your wireless company's site.)

The problem is, if you have a BlackBerry or other smart phone that downloads e-mails and texts automatically, every time it scans for incoming messages, you are charged as if you are making a call. And some cruise lines charge extra for attachments or photos due to the extra bandwidth they consume. (There are lots of horror stories out there of $3000 phone bills for week-long cruises.) Some carriers will even charge for incoming calls that aren't answered.

There is usually an option to turn off data/e-mail on smart phones, but if you are sending texts, there's no way to turn off the phone service. So you risk the cost of receiving incoming texts and phone calls while your phone is on for you to send texts. I've also read stories of people who had their phones turned off but were somehow still picking up a signal and getting charged for roaming. That's why last time I left my phone in the room safe with the battery out.

But let's say you are okay with the rates and want to use your phone anyway. It may not be an option everywhere. Many people said last year they were unable to get a signal on the lower decks of the ship. And since Half Moon Cay is a private island, there's no cell service there. There's also no wireless there, so it's going to be a several hour stretch of no tweets for those at home.

There is, however, internet access on board. You can bring your own laptop/iPod/iPad/what-have-you or use the Internet cafe. The rates for both are the same: 75 cents per minute. You can also buy blocks of minutes. Last year I paid $24 for 60 minute blocks. There was a minimum charge of two minutes, which was about a minute and 45 seconds longer than it took me to send a tweet. I did not figure this time minimum out till Sunday night.

Cruise ship internet is . . . not the best. For one, it takes a good minute to get logged in and do anything. Once you're in, you can use it for sending a quick email or tweet, but don't plan to upload a photo album to Flickr or anything. Remember the internet in 1998? It's like that. Last year, I never once successfully got my email to load, even in basic HTML mode. But it's certainly better than nothing, and they do have wireless throughout the ship, which is nice.

What are your plans for phones on board?

[Taken from the nKoTb Cruise blog]

So, what are you guys doing? I haven't talked to my cell phone provider (AT&T) yet, but I plan to soon! I will definitely update with my plans as soon as I find out! :)

13 comments:

  1. I am getting the international data plan for my blackberry bold!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I will most likely put my iPhone 4 on Airplane mode if I do decide to turn it on, to take pictures/video or listen to the iPod. Better safe then sorry.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Phew! I am safe from this cellphone trap. I only use Pay As You Go so I have no monthly phone bill to worry about. Whenever I use my phone, I am only charged for using airtime so if there is no time on my phone then I cannot be charged for anything. However, I think that I would still like to talk to my family while on the cruise. Would I come into contact with any pay phone? I have an 800 number which can charge the call on the home phone bill if I use it on a pay phone but maybe it would work on the cruise phone too. Or would they charge me their rate no matter which number number I use? So that's another question. Would 800 numbers be free on a cruise phone? Should I call Rose Tour myself to find out?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Mel, I'm honestly not sure on that one. I can email Rose Tours, if you want. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sure! Thanks! That would be great. Maybe someone else could use the same thing and that would be a way around their rates.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  8. @Janine - Do you have a Facebook account? If you do, I would like to invite you to a FB group about the BSB cruise.

    Other people who are going on the cruise and check out this blog can join too. Just look up my name Melanie Ouimet and request to become friends with me. It's a private group so I can only add people if they are on my FB friend's list.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm with ATT and have a droid. I added the 50MB roaming data plan and a 9.99 plan that gives me 50 roaming texts.

    If you're with Verizon and have a smart phone, you can go with the global email plan that will give you unlimited roaming data for 64.99. If you're already paying 29.99 for your data plan, you should go with this, because teh awesome part is that you only have to leave it on for the time you're gone, and change back to your old plan when you get home. It prorates the monthly charge but you'll still have unlimited data.

    As someone who works in the wireless industry, I do want to make a slight correction to this article. You aren't being charged like you make a phone call when your phone updates or downloads email. You're being charged data rates as though you were on a pay per kilobyte/megabyte plan, but a higher rate because it's roaming.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I also want to add that while you are in port in Miami or on Key West, to check your roaming indicator! There is a small chance that you will pick up the cruise ship tower instead of American towers.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hey Mel, this is the response I got back from Jeannie at Rose Tours:

    Hi Janine,

    Cell phones work on board the ship but you have to check with your carrier to see what your rates and plan covers for ship to sea. The phones in the cabin are charged for numbers that you do call any outgoing calls.

    There is a number that people call shore to ship if there is an emergency and they will put them in touch with you.

    Thanks and have a great day!

    I'm not sure if that answers your question or not?

    And thanks for the info, April! :) I will update the entry!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I called to T-Mobile to ask them about this; they said even if you have an international data plan, it doesn't matter, it goes only through the ship's tower, which is indeed $4.99/minute. If you have internet on your phone, it was something ridiculous like $15/mb. I think I blocked that out because it was just way too expensive. All I'm going to do if I use my cell is wait til we're in port -Mexico is only $1.99/minute if I really have to call.

    And also, they told me that text messages are .35 for each outgoing - I'm on an unlimited message plan so my incoming are free. If I get voicemails and my phone is on, it goes to the $4.99/minute thing. I might just take out my sim or turn it off... I was planning on using my cell as a clock. Bummer :(

    ReplyDelete
  13. I need you to call me Monica my number is 619 4037951

    ReplyDelete