Saturday, November 20, 2010

More on Cell Phones

Hey Cruisers! Only EIGHTEEN days!! I have a few updates on cells phones on board the ship for everybody!

Mel asked, "Would I come into contact with any pay phone? I have an 800 number which can charge the call on the home phone bill if I use it on a pay phone but maybe it would work on the cruise phone too. Or would they charge me their rate no matter which number number I use? So that's another question. Would 800 numbers be free on a cruise phone?"

And the response I got back from Jeannie at Rose Tours was:

Hi Janine,

Cell phones work on board the ship but you have to check with your carrier to see what your rates and plan covers for ship to sea. The phones in the cabin are charged for numbers that you do call any outgoing calls.

There is a number that people call shore to ship if there is an emergency and they will put them in touch with you.

Thanks and have a great day!


Also, April added that, "I'm with ATT and have a droid. I added the 50MB roaming data plan and a 9.99 plan that gives me 50 roaming texts.

If you're with Verizon and have a smart phone, you can go with the global email plan that will give you unlimited roaming data for 64.99. If you're already paying 29.99 for your data plan, you should go with this, because teh awesome part is that you only have to leave it on for the time you're gone, and change back to your old plan when you get home. It prorates the monthly charge but you'll still have unlimited data.

As someone who works in the wireless industry, I do want to make a slight correction to this article. You aren't being charged like you make a phone call when your phone updates or downloads email. You're being charged data rates as though you were on a pay per kilobyte/megabyte plan, but a higher rate because it's roaming.

I also want to add that while you are in port in Miami or on Key West, to check your roaming indicator! There is a small chance that you will pick up the cruise ship tower instead of American towers."

Hopefully those things were helpful! :) I haven't talked to my cell phone provider (AT&T) yet, so I will let you know what I find out! Anybody else have any tips or advice?

No comments:

Post a Comment